Study Finds Organic Results Increase Paid Search Clicks
A study from a couple of NYU Stern professors has found that organic search engine results can play a direct role in whether or not a paid listing is clicked. Basically, if this research is any indication, if your business has both a paid result and an organic result appear at the same time, you have a better chance of your paid result getting clicked than if the organic result had not appeared.
Seen better CTRs when paid and organic listings are present? Tell us about it.
Professors Anindya Ghose and Sha Yang have highlighted the following findings:
– On average, the impact of organic listings on paid advertising is 3.5 times stronger than vice-versa, possibly because of the tendency of consumers to trust organic listings more than paid ads.
– The positive association between paid and organic listings increases advertisers’ profits by at least 6.15% when compared to profits in the absence of either of them. The positive association is strongest when advertiser-specific keywords are used and weakest when brand-specific and generic keywords are used.
– Click-through rates, conversion rates and total revenues are higher when both paid and organic listings are present simultaneously than when paid search ads are absent.
– The combined click-through rates are 5.1% higher when paid and organic listings are present simultaneously than when only the organic listings are present.
– The combined conversion rate increases 11.7% when paid and organic listings are present simultaneously than when organic listings alone are present.
– Paid search advertising drives up to 54% of total revenue growth.